495 total views
There are many ways to protect folders and sensitive data, such as hiding them in hard-to-find locations, storing them in removable storage devices and putting them in safes, saving them in the cloud with strong passwords. But if you often have to access them, you will have to leave them on your computer, even in the most accessible places. Then, a more effective way to protect the home directory is to hide, password or encrypt.
How to lock folder?
In the following article, CHK will guide you through 5 ways to protect folders on Windows:
1. Hide any folder using Windows built-in option
Windows has a built-in tool for you to hide the folder you want to hide. This is a poor security method, not used to protect important data. You can also use this tool to hide folders that you find annoying.
Here’s how to do it:
- Access to File Explorer then find the folder you need to hide
- Right click on the folder and select Properties
- Click in the box “Hidden” then press OK
To review the files, all you need to do is on the Folder Options window, uncheck the items as Show hidden files, folders, and drives and Hide protected operating system files. Or you can click in the box “Hidden items” in the menu View of File Explorer.
2. Turn a regular folder into a hidden system folder using Command Prompt
This way is a bit more difficult than the previous one, so of course the security will be higher. To do this successfully, you will have to work a bit with the Command Prompt command line window.
Here’s how to do it:
- Press Win + CHEAP to open Run then type cmd and Enter to open Command Prompt
- Type the following command into the Command Prompt:
attrib +s +h “C:UsersCHKDesktopBi Mat”
- Instead of, replace “C:UsersCHKDesktopBi Mat” with the path to the folder you want to hide. “D:TaiLieuTiengNhat”
- After completing the command, press Enter and the folder will be hidden. Even if you unhide in Folders Options, it can’t be found
- To unhide, you need to run the above command again but replace the “+“with sign”–“
3. Encrypt files or folders without installing additional software
Encryption is an effective way to protect your files. Microsoft has built-in an encryption tool in Windows for you to easily protect your data.
Here’s how to do it:
- Right click on the file or folder to encrypt select Properties
- Click the button Advanced
- Click on Encrypt Contents to Secure Data then press OK
- Press Apply to complete
- If the file is encrypted, the system will send a suggestion that you should encrypt both the file and its parent directory
- After encryption, the file or folder will turn green
The only downside to this method is that it binds encryption to your user account. This means that other accounts on the same computer cannot open files or folders that you have encrypted. However, if you use the same account, this method will not work.
4. How to hide and access hidden folders with *BAT . file
Before you start you must create a folder to store the folders that need to be protected. To do this you just need to create a folder in the usual way and give it any name.
Navigate to the folder you just created, open that folder and proceed to create a new Text Document by right-clicking any space in the folder, selecting new => Text Documents.
Open the Text Document file you just created, copy and paste the code below into it:
title Folder Private
if EXIST "HTG Locker" goto UNLOCK
if NOT EXIST Private goto MDLOCKER
echo Are you sure you want to lock the folder(Y/N)
if %cho%==Y goto LOCK
if %cho%==y goto LOCK
if %cho%==n goto END
if %cho%==N goto END
echo Invalid choice.
ren Private "HTG Locker"
attrib +h +s "HTG Locker"
echo Folder locked
echo Enter password to unlock folder
if NOT %pass%== PASSWORD_GOES_HERE goto FAIL
attrib -h -s "HTG Locker"
ren "HTG Locker" Private
echo Folder Unlocked successfully
echo Invalid password
echo Private created successfully
In the above code, replace PASSWORD_GOES_HERE with the password you want to set. Finally, in Save as type choose All types, name the file locker.bat.
Now you can delete the original text file.
Next double click on the file locker.bat to open the file. It will now create a new folder named private. This Private folder is where you can store all your important files and folders….
After moving the data to be secured to the Private folder, double-click the locker.bat file.
Immediately a command line dialog box will appear with the content asking if you agree to hide this folder, you just need to enter “Y” and then press ENTER.
Once done, the Private folder will disappear.
If you want to access the Private folder, double click on the locker.bat file and proceed to enter the password you have set in the command line window and press ENTER.
How to view files?
To review the files, all you need to do is on the Folder Options window, uncheck the items as Show hidden files, folders, and drives and Hide protected operating system files.
Then on the screen will appear a warning window as shown below:
To open the Folder Options window as well as to hide or show files and folders on Windows 7, 8, and 10, refer to the steps here.
If you accidentally forgot your password
If you accidentally forgot your password or if you want to change it, all you need to do is right-click the locker.bat file and select Edit and proceed to change the password is done.
The above method only helps to protect your sensitive files from prying eyes. Those who know this trick or are computer savvy can easily open the file you have hidden, then you need a tool to set a real password for the folder. You can see 3 software that CHK.com has introduced such as: Wise Folder Hider, Folder Guard, Secure Folder
Check out some more articles below:
#Set #password #Folder #set #password #protect #folder #software